- University of California Santa Barbara, B.A., business economics, 1984
- Estate planning, trust and estate compliance and complex tax issues for high net-worth individuals
- Lead Principal for estate and trust compliance
Lynn C. Laurie, CPA
A CPA with nearly 27 years of public accounting experience, Lynn Laurie first discovered her interest in accounting while taking a general education accounting class in college. She had been planning to become a marine biologist, but within three weeks of enrolling in the accounting class, she realized she had a natural propensity to understand and apply the concepts, and even explain them in a way that made sense to other students. “I had the chip. It all made absolute sense to me.”
At Delap, Lynn specializes in estate and trust planning and tax compliance for high net-worth individuals. Some of her personal characteristics that contribute to her success are a love of people, disciplined work habits, and a dedication to the truth. “If you like people, then it's easy to be motivated to solve problems for them.” Before joining the firm, she worked for eight years as a CPA for another local firm in Portland, and as an accountant for two firms in California. “My favorite aspect of the accounting profession is training both staff people and clients to improve in their work.”
Lynn lives with her husband and 16-year-old son in Portland. For many years, she served as her church treasurer. Lynn enjoys embroidery and other handwork; her husband calls her the queen of satin stitch. She also loves to read, especially history and fantasy, and is an unabashed Harry Potter fan.
- Passing the CPA exam in one sitting
- My first exposure working with trusts and estates while working at an accounting firm in Santa Barbara, Calif.
- Serving as a teacher to younger staff people and watching them progress
- Earning the trust and respect of my colleagues and being the person people rely on in my area of expertise
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 1987 - Present
- Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants, 1990 - Present
The best thing about working at Delap, according to Lynn, is the firm's emphasis on work-life balance. “You spend your day working hard, surrounded by smart people who care about doing good work, and then you're able to leave work at work. And though we confront long hours and deadlines in this profession, the Firm understands the place that work should occupy in the lives of their employees."