- University of Oregon, B.S., Accounting
- Financial auditing and accounting
- Lead of healthcare practice
- Employee benefit plans
- Hospitals, physician clinics, and hospital-based foundations
Steven A. Evans, CPA
Steve has more than 30 years of experience in public accounting and began his career at Ernst & Young. After eleven years with Ernst & Young, Steve spent eighteen years building Symonds, Evans & Company, P.C., prior to joining Delap in 2009. Over his career, Steve has served hospitals, both large and small; physician clinics; health maintenance organizations; hospital-based foundations; and other related healthcare organizations. While at Ernst & Young, Steve was a team-leader in the Portland office's healthcare audit practice and has served over 35 different healthcare clients during his career.
As a partner in Delap's audit practice, Steve serves as the leader for the firm's healthcare practice. He also has extensive experience in serving a wide variety of other for-profit and non-profit clients with their audit and financial reporting needs.
Steve admits that becoming an accountant was a pretty easy choice. He says that it was the only thing he knew how to do because he always liked numbers. He took an aptitude test in high school, and all of the signs pointed to a career in public accounting.
Steve and his wife of over 25 years, Jennifer, have one son, Nolan, and dogs named Risk and Dare and live in Lake Oswego. During his time away from the office, Steve enjoys golf, wakeboarding, Texas hold 'em poker, and following his "fighting Ducks" of the University of Oregon.
- Being an instructor for national training for staff conferences for Ernst & Young
- Participating in quality control reviews at eight other offices of Ernst & Young
- Started own firm, Symonds, Evans & Company, P.C. in 1991
- Transitioned his practice and expertise to Delap in 2009
- Oregon Chapter of the Healthcare Financial Management Association, Fellow and former Board Member
- Peer Review Committee of the OSCPA
- Neighborhood Health Clinics, former Board President
- Healthcare Committee of OSCPA, former Chair
- Joint CPA/Attorney Committee of OSCPA/OSB, former Co-Chair
- Blue Heron Neighborhood Association, former Treasurer
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants
Steve believes that Delap is a natural fit for him with its culture and approach to people. At Delap, he knows there is an emphasis on quality, integrity and that people truly care about their clients and one another. Steve states, "one of the most exciting opportunities about being at Delap, is that it allows me to focus on my existing client base, to build upon that client base, and to add value and resources to them."