- University of Iowa, B.B.A., accounting, 1995
- Lead of firm's audit practice, employee benefit plan, non-profits, and IFRS niches
- Auditing, mergers & acquisitions, general business advisory services
- Specialty areas include employee benefit plans, non-profits, financial services, technology, manufacturing and construction industries
Douglas A. Brown, CPA
Doug Brown has more than 15 years of experience in public accounting. Before joining Delap, he spent nine years at PricewaterhouseCoopers, where he worked in Portland, OR, San Jose, CA, Auckland, New Zealand and London, England.
Doug's uncle was a partner in a CPA firm and from an early age he was interested in becoming an accountant. "I thought what my uncle did sounded 'cool' and I was good at math, so it was something that I always had in the front of my mind", he says. "It wasn't until high school and college when I really understood the great experience and challenges it offered."
Over the years, Doug has gained significant experience managing audit engagements for publicly and privately-held businesses. He has also worked extensively with early-stage companies in many capacities, including capital raisings, financial due diligence, and accounting for complex equity structures.
Doug enjoys spending time with his wife, Michelle, and their three young boys, participating in church activities, and playing or watching sports - mostly basketball, football, baseball and tennis. He has traveled extensively throughout the United States, Europe and parts of Asia. His favorite Portland restaurant is ¡Oba!; his favorite author, Tom Clancy; his favorite movies, The Lord of the Rings trilogy; and his favorite pastime, spending with family and friends. “I really value personal relationships,” he says. “I like getting to know people, working with them and encouraging them to reach their personal goals.”
- Working as an accountant throughout Europe and New Zealand
- The decision to come to Delap
- Being a part of the firm's growth
- Leading Edge Alliance Accounting, Audit, and Assurance, Steering Committee, 2008 - Present
- Home Builders Association of Metropolitan Portland, Member, 2008 - Present
- Church Treasurer and Leadership Team Mentor, 2009 - Present
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Employee Benefit Plan, Audit Quality Center, 2008 - Present
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 2005 - Present
- Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants, 2005 - Present
- Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants, 2009 - Present
The unique aspect about working at Delap, Doug says, is the culture and work-life balance. “I think there's a genuine commitment to family and to teamwork. People really care about what's going on for each other both professionally and personally, and they're willing to step up and help each other out. Commitment to families and staying balanced are priorities throughout the firm and this shared commitment makes this an incredible place to work.”